5 tips for a healthier sweet tooth
Grab a smaller plate and a healthier dessert, and dig in.
Ban all indulgences? That just creates feelings of withdrawal. A more effective approach is one that allows you to enjoy an occasional healthier dessert in a controlled portion.
Here are 5 tips for making dessert healthier:
- Be mindful! You will get more enjoyment from eating dessert when you savor it slowly.
- Instead of having a large dessert with a little fruit garnish, try having a lot of fruit with a small serving of something sweet, such as a piece of chocolate or a scoop of low-fat frozen yogurt.
- Serve your dessert on small plates – it makes the dish appear larger to your eyes and belly.
- Boost the flavor of foods with spices, such as cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cardamom, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla. These will add flavor and sweetness without any sugar.
- Share! If you are out to eat, consider sharing one dessert with the table. Or if you are making dessert at home, share it with others, or freeze some for another time.
This post is courtesy Health Plus, which provides resources to support the health of Vanderbilt faculty & staff.