Recipe: Lentil Tacos
Enjoy these healthy lentil tacos, or use the lentil mixture in burritos or on top of salads.
Lentils are an inexpensive, plant-based source of protein — naturally fat-free and packed full of fiber. According to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, populations that consume more dietary fiber have less chronic disease. Men should consume 38 grams of fiber every day, and women should consume 25 grams, amounts that can be difficult to reach if you don’t eat many fruits, vegetables or whole grains.
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup finely minced onion
- ¼ cup vegetable broth*
- 1 packet taco seasoning*
- ½ cup salsa*
- 7 whole-wheat tortillas
- In a saucepan, cover lentils with water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes or until lentils are tender. You can also cook lentils in a rice cooker.
- Remove lentils from the pot, drain and rinse. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Mix together lentils, onion, vegetable broth, taco seasoning and salsa.
- Add ½ cup lentil mixture to each whole-wheat tortilla.