Recipe: Beef, Broccoli and Brown Gravy With Rice
This quick, simple dinner is easy on the wallet and the heart.
This heart-healthy recipe requires only a few ingredients, it’s easy, quick to make, healthy, and the whole family will love it (even the kids)! The trick to making the dish healthier? Make sure to use lean ground beef, low-sodium gravy and brown rice.
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups brown rice
- 4 cups frozen broccoli
- 1 ½ packets low-sodium brown gravy
- 2 cups water
- Heat up large skillet with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once skillet is warm, place ground beef on skillet. Break meat into smaller pieces. Stir occasionally.
- Cook brown rice and set aside to cool.
- Once meat is browned, add 1 ½ packets of low-sodium gravy with 2 cups of water. Let mixture simmer for about 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add one bag of frozen broccoli to mixture. Once broccoli is soft and bright green in color, set mixture aside.
- Place brown rice on a plate and pour mixture on top. Enjoy!
Vanderbilt Health nutrition expert Katelyn Fougere is making one of her favorite lean-beef recipes right now. Post your questions or comments.
Posted by My Southern Health on Thursday, May 31, 2018
Katelyn Fougere is a 2017-2018 Vanderbilt Dietetic Intern. From Manchester, New Hampshire, Katelyn received her Bachelor of Sciences in Nutrition and Dietetics at the University of New Hampshire in Durham, New Hampshire. She currently is completing her dietetic internship at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. After Katelyn graduates from her internship next month, she plans to sit for her exam to become a Registered Dietitian. She is blessed with a loving and supportive family that’s extremely important to her. Katelyn enjoys being that positive difference maker and providing individuals with appropriate nutrition care to help them seek a healthy and fulfilling lifestyle.
Lots of people think protein is bad for them or that meat is the only source of it. In this video, a Vanderbilt Health nutrition expert provides healthy protein options, and shares a family favorite recipe using lean ground beef here: http://spr.ly/6181DvjLS
Posted by My Southern Health on Thursday, August 16, 2018