Recipe: Easy Four-Bean Vegetarian Chili
This vegetarian chili is simple to make, and sure to be a crowd-pleaser on cold winter days.
Warm up to a hearty bowl of chili on these cool winter days. With minimal preparation and simple, year-round ingredients, you won’t be able to say ‘no’ to this delicious family favorite.
- 1 15-ounce can low-/reduced-sodium black beans
- 1 15-ounce can low-/reduced-sodium kidney beans
- 1 15-ounce can butter beans
- 1 15-ounce can low-/reduced-sodium great northern beans
- 1 15-ounce can whole kernel corn
- 2 large bell peppers, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can low-sodium/no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 package reduced- or low-sodium chili seasoning
- 2 cups water
- Drain and thoroughly rinse beans and corn under cool water. Place in a large pot.
- Add peppers, onion, tomatoes (with juice), tomato paste and chili seasoning.
- Pour in water. Stir until well-mixed.
- Cover and cook over low heat for approximately 45 minutes, stirring intermittently.
- Serve and enjoy!
Lean ground beef (15% fat or less) or ground turkey can also be added for a non-vegetarian option.
For chili mac, cook boxed macaroni noodles until al dente. Serve chili over macaroni noodles for a heartier meal.
Top it off by adding a sprinkle of oyster crackers, low-fat shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, chopped green onion, a dollop of low-fat sour cream and/or a few slices of avocado.
Portion leftovers into individual servings and freeze in airtight containers or freezer bags for up to four to six months.
There is potential to have a lower or higher sodium profile depending on the sodium content of canned beans, tomato products and chili seasoning.
Lindsay MacNab, MS, RD, is a registered dietitian, health nut and deep dish pizza addict from the wonderful windy city of Chicago. A 2015-2016 dietetic intern at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Lindsay was born and raised in the Chicago suburbs and received both her bachelor’s and master’s degree in Diet & Exercise from Iowa State University.