Recipe: Light pineapple angel food cake
Try this lighter twist on pineapple upside-down cake.
If your family considers pineapple upside-down cake a Southern tradition for special occasions but you’re watching calories, try this lovely alternative: a pineapple cake recipe.
It has the pineapple flavor and sweetness of the classic, but it’s a lighter treat than traditional recipes, which typically contain 350 calories per slice or more. This pineapple cake recipe relies on angel food cake mix, and weighs in at just over 200 calories per slice. If you want to dress things up a bit, top the cake with sliced peaches.
- 1 box angel food cake mix
- 1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple (in its own juice). Do not drain.
- 1 8-ounce carton fat-free whipped topping
- Mix the angel food cake mix as directed on the package.
- Gently stir in the un-drained crushed pineapple.
- Pour into an ungreased 13- x 9-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Ice the cake with the whipped topping.