Recipe: Pesto Chicken Salad Pitas
Enjoy this Mediterranean-inspired chicken salad stuffed into a pita with your favorite veggies.
Chicken salad is a classic Southern standby, a reliably popular food for workday lunches, tailgate parties, church potlucks or family gatherings. This fresh chicken salad in pita bread uses Mediterranean flavors and it is easy to make. Nonfat Greek yogurt gives it the creaminess of traditional mayonnaise-based chicken salad but without the fat and calories.
Use chopped rotisserie chicken or low-sodium canned chicken as a time saver — though chicken that you’ve baked, boiled or grilled yourself will reduce the sodium. Add more of your favorite vegetables to help reach the recommended five servings of fruits and vegetables per day.
- ¼ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- ½ cup grated carrot (about 1 medium carrot)
- 4 mini whole-wheat pita rounds, split in half
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- Combine yogurt, pesto, lemon juice and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk until well blended.
- Add chicken and carrots. Stir to combine.
- Stuff each pita evenly with spinach leaves and chicken mixture.
- Add in other vegetables, if desired.