Recipe: Spinach Lasagna Roll-Ups
Cut out the meat one day per week — try this unique twist on traditional lasagna for Meatless Monday.
This savory weeknight entrée is quick and easy and is great for engaging kids in the kitchen. Stuff with additional veggies to create a more nutrient-packed, filling dish.
- 1, 24-ounce can pasta sauce, divided
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked
- 1, 10-ounce package frozen spinach, thawed
- 15-ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2½ cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
- ⅔ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare filling by mixing together the spinach, ricotta cheese, 1½ cups mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese and egg. Set aside.
- Spread a large piece of parchment or wax paper on a smooth surface. Lay down each individual noodle.
- Divide cheese filling evenly and spread along the length of each noodle. Roll noodles into individual lasagna roll-ups.
- Pour 1 cup of tomato sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Place lasagna roll-ups on top of sauce.
- Add remaining tomato sauce on top of lasagna roll-ups. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until cheese is golden and sauce is bubbly.
Other vegetables such as sliced zucchini, onions or mushrooms, or chopped broccoli can be added in to boost flavor and nutrition.
Lindsay MacNab, MS, RD, is a registered dietitian, health nut and deep dish pizza addict from the wonderful windy city of Chicago. A 2015-2016 dietetic intern at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Lindsay was born and raised in the Chicago suburbs and received both her bachelor’s and master’s degree in Diet & Exercise from Iowa State University.