Recipe: Tuna “Pizza” Baked on Flatbread
Tuna spread on flatbread, topped with veggies and cheese, offers plenty of protein.
This tasty, stress-free dish is an alternative to pizza, with heart-healthy ingredients. It takes about 15 minutes to assemble.
Tuna is one of the most concentrated sources of heart-healthy fats that is also budget friendly. Be sure to choose it packed in water for the healthiest option.
Like homemade pizza, you can add different vegetable toppings to this recipe to suit your taste — such as red onion, as in the photo. Or try shredded zucchini, sliced mushrooms, chopped olives or baby spinach. If you don’t have fresh basil leaves on hand, sprinkling dried basil over the flatbread (or other dried herbs, such as oregano or parsley) will give you extra flavor.
- 1 Flatout brand flatbread
- 6 - 8 basil leaves
- ¼ - ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (2.6-ounce) pouch of albacore white tuna in water
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese, part skim
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 - 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place flatbread on a cookie sheet and bake in oven until crisp.
- Cover flatbread with chopped basil, red pepper, tuna and garlic.
- Spread cheese evenly over pizza and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Place back in the oven and bake until cheese melts.