Recipe: Veggie lovers’ pizza
This heart-healthy veggie pizza recipe is packed with tons of fresh and flavorful roasted vegetables. Pick up your favorite veggies at a neighborhood farmers market this weekend
Veggie Lovers’ Pizza
1 package pizza dough (try whole grain!)
1 can low-sodium pizza sauce
1 cup low-fat shredded cheese
1 cup sliced mushrooms
½ cup diced green bell pepper
½ cup diced red pepper
½ cup diced red onion
1 cup spinach (torn into pieces)
Canadian bacon chopped into bite-size pieces (optional)
Fresh chopped basil (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Let dough rise in a bowl, covered with a dish towel for about an hour to bring it to room temperature.
3. Spray cooking sheet or pizza pan with cooking spray.
4. Spread dough onto pan with hands or a rolling pin (add a bit of flour if it is too sticky).
5. Bake the dough for approximately 5 minutes
6. Remove from the oven.
7. Spoon on a thin layer of sauce and add cheese.
8. Layer toppings on top of the sauce and cheese.
9. Sprinkle fresh basil, if desired.
10. Finish cooking for about 15 minutes
Pair this veggie pizza recipe with a green salad for a perfect weeknight or weekend meal.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: Total servings: 4. Calories: 380. Total fat: 6.5 grams. Saturated fat: 2 grams. Sodium: 810 milligrams. Total carbohydrate: 59 grams. Dietary fiber: 9 grams. Protein: 19 grams.
Find a farmer’s market near you to take advantage of the season’s best veggies!