Meatless Mondays will still feel hearty with this filling portobello mushroom sandwich recipe — ready in less than half an hour.
If you’re like us, you’re always on the lookout for a quicker way to get dinner on the table. Bonus points if it’s healthy — and extra bonus points if it’s plant-based and still delicious. You can prepare the delicious mushrooms for the portobello mushroom sandwich on the stove or on the grill. And get creative: Add sauteed onions, swap out the spinach for arugula, or top with your other favorite burger toppings.
Portobello Mushroom Sandwich
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, washed, patted dry and stems removed
- 2 whole wheat rolls
- 2 slices of reduced fat swiss cheese
- Two large pieces of roasted red peppers
- Spinach leaves (about 10)
- Combine the oil and vinegar and brush the mushrooms with the mixture.
- Heat a non-stick pan to medium heat.
- Place the mushrooms in the pan, cover them, and let them cook for about 6 minutes.
- Flip the mushrooms and before covering again, add a tablespoon of water to the pan to create steam. Cover and cook for another 6 minutes, or until tender.
- About 2 minutes before the mushrooms are done cooking, top them with the peppers, then the cheese, and cover again until the cheese is melted.
- While the cheese is melting on the mushrooms, toast the rolls.
- Remove the mushrooms from the pan and place them on the bottom half of the roll.
- Add the spinach and the top of the roll.
Serving size: 1 burger | Calories: 339 | Total fat: 13g | Saturated fat: 4g | Sodium: 397mg | Fiber: 7g | Carbohydrates: 39g | Sugars: 7g | Protein: 19g