Add some bright summery flavor to a salad, even in winter.
Citrus fruit is easily available in most U.S. supermarkets even in the colder months. If you’re trying to eat light but crave some strong zing to your food, this baby spinach salad recipe gets the job done. It’s a beautifully colorful first course to some roasted or grilled chicken or fish, or an accompaniment to a hearty winter soup.
Citrusy Spinach Salad with Walnuts
- 2 pink grapefruit
- 2 oranges
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 7 ounces baby spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Remove the peel and pith (white threads) from the grapefruit and oranges.
- Using a paring knife, and working over a bowl to catch the juice, slice between each section and the membrane of the fruits. Remove the segments whole, reserving the fruit and juice.
- Make the dressing by whisking the juice with the olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Arrange the spinach and fruit segments on individual plates.
- Drizzle with the dressing and garnish with the walnuts.
Calories: 246 | Total Fat: 17 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Sodium: 39 mg