This is a large helping of comfort food, but healthier than most casseroles.
This one-dish meal combines brown rice, broccoli, lean chicken and reduced-fat cheddar cheese for a delicious and healthy meal that’s perfect for a chilly night. You can easily double the recipe, make two and freeze one for later.
Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Bake
- 1-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 pound broccoli, cut in bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken (you can use precooked chicken)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups nonfat milk, divided (you can substitute low-fat milk)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a deep 9-inch-square baking dish (cooking spray works great for this).
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a large pot, then add the rice. Return to a boil. Add the broccoli to the top of the rice. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and let it cook for 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let it sit, covered, for an additional 5 minutes. The rice liquid should be absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large, deep pot over medium-high. Add the chicken and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Sauté until cooked through and no longer pink in the center; about 4 to 6 minutes. Remove to a plate to cool. Once cool, cut into bite-sized pieces, or shred the chicken. Wipe the pot clean with a paper towel. You can also use pre-cooked chicken and skip this step.
- Reduce the stove heat to medium. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and milk. Pour the mixture into the pot. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened, for about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the mustard and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add the Greek yogurt and 1 cup of the shredded cheese, stirring until smooth.
- Add the rice and broccoli mixture and the reserved chicken to the cheese sauce, stirring to coat. Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish and top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake for 25 minutes. Let the dish stand for 10 minutes, then serve.
Calories: 329 | Total fat: 10 grams | Saturated fat: 4 grams | Cholesterol: 69 milligrams | Sodium: 566 milligrams | Protein: 34 grams