Here’s a healthier dip option for your next gathering.
Cowboy Caviar dip, a protein-packed salsa, is a nutritious (healthy) option for your game-day snacks – or at any other party! This easy snack combines multiple types of beans with bell pepper, corn, onion and vinegar for a tasty snack that your guests will love.
Recipe: Cowboy Caviar
Serves: 20 servings
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bell pepper (any color), diced
- 1 cup onion (any color), diced
- ½ cup vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the drained and rinsed garbanzo beans, corn, black beans and pinto beans. Add the diced bell pepper and onion.
- In small bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar, and oil to make the dressing. Whisk to dissolve sugar.
- Pour dressing onto vegetables. Toss to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate, drain (optional), and serve with low-sodium tortilla chips.
Serving size: 1/2 cup Calories: 129 Fat: 6 grams Carbohydrates: 16 grams Sugar: 4 grams Sodium: 83 milligrams Fiber: 4 grams Protein: 4 grams
Emily Berg is a dietetic intern at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. She has a Bachelor of Science in Nutrition-Dietetics and minor in Communication from Auburn University. After becoming a Registered Dietitian, Emily plans to someday open her own private practice to combine her interests in business, counseling, and nutrition.