Good reminders for taking relationships from stressful to enriching.
Overall life happiness can often be measured by the quality of the significant relationships in our lives. At the core of difficulties sometimes is an enduring pattern of behavior that either undermines these relationships, diminishes the parties involved or results in ongoing conflict and avoidance. To change the tide from a stressful relationship to an enriching one, it is important to know what patterns of behavior may promote relationship health.
10 tips for improving relationships
- Listen in order to understand the other person’s perspective.
- Communicate what you think and feel in ways other people can hear. Avoid language that makes other people responsible for your feelings or attacks the other party.
- Comment on the positive. Be generous with compliments.
- Show appreciation. Social graces are not just for strangers.
- Learn the fine art of compromise.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff.
- Make time to share activities and interests.
- Get good at forgiveness.
- Share the work as well as the fun.
- Keep expectations realistic.
Source: This post courtesy of Vanderbilt Health Plus, which provides resources to support the health of Vanderbilt faculty & staff.