An easy recipe for a party appetizer, made from healthy ingredients. Learn how to make Mediterranean white bean dip with homemade pita chips.
Chips and dip don’t have to be a nutritional nightmare. Here, a recipe for an alternative appetizer or snack containing protein, fiber, heart-healthy olive oil and very little saturated fat (the unhealthy kind of fat). This simple dip makes a great appetizer for parties. Serve it with homemade pita chips, alongside crisp raw veggies. Or smear it on a crostini for a light dinner, paired with a green salad.
- Rinsing the capers and beans (and any canned vegetable) underwater can remove up to 40% of the added sodium from this recipe.
- When toasting the pine nuts, or any nuts, a toaster oven works great. Be sure to watch them, as they can burn very fast.
Recipe: Mediterranean White Bean Dip with Homemade Pita Chips
Recipe Type: Appetizer
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Serves: 4-6 servings
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Kalamata olives, quartered
- 2 tablespoons roasted red peppers
- ½ tablespoon capers, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Pita chips:
- 1 whole wheat pita bread, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the white beans, lemon juice, garlic and olive oil. Puree until smooth. If the consistency is a bit thicker than you want, add a tiny drizzle of olive oil and blend again. Season to taste with salt and pepper and transfer the dip to a serving bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the Kalamata olives, roasted red peppers, capers and pine nuts. Sprinkle over the bean dip and drizzle with olive oil. Serve with the homemade pita chips.
- To make the pita chips, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the pita strips in a mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with dried oregano, salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Spread the pita strips into a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake them for 5-8 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the pita chips from the oven and allow them to cool. They will crisp up as they cool.
Serving size: 1/6 of recipe Calories: 141 Fat: 11 grams Saturated fat: 2 grams Carbohydrates: 11 grams Sodium: 160.6 milligrams Fiber: 2.2 grams Protein: 3 grams
Stacey Kendrick, MS, is a health educator with more than 20 years of experience in wellness and population health. She is a mother to two adult daughters. In her free time, she teaches healthy cooking classes, runs, gardens and enjoys backyard bonfires.