Who says sweets can’t be healthy choices? This low-fat cake proves it’s possible.
Many people who love sweets but are trying to eat a heart-smart diet don’t realize that there are lots of ways to enjoy dessert that are healthy choices.
“Try looking for dessert recipes that are primarily fruit,” said Marilyn Holmes, MS, RD, LDN, a registered dietitian and associate director of the Vanderbilt University Recreation Center. “A cup of sliced strawberries, for example, enhances flavor and provides a serving of fruit. When baking, substitute applesauce or mashed banana for half of the fat. Choose desserts that include meringues or angel food cake — both are fat free.”
This healthy dessert recipe hits many of these notes — it’s low fat, made with angel food cake mix and is made only better by the addition of your favorite fresh fruit.
Crunchy Brunch Bake
- ¾ cup coarsely crushed whole-wheat flakes cereal, such as Wheaties (about 1 ½ cups uncrushed)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- One package white angel food cake mix
- One or more of the following: low-fat fruit yogurt; fresh or frozen fruit; Wheaties cereal; raisins; nuts
- Move the oven rack to lowest position.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix cereal and cinnamon.
- Prepare cake mix as directed on package except fold cereal mixture into batter.
- Pour into an ungreased 12-cup bundt cake pan. Bake as directed on the cake box. Immediately turn pan upside down onto a heatproof funnel (or glass bottle).
- Let cool for at least two hours.
- Using a butter knife to loosen the edges, carefully remove the cake from pan.
- Serve with one or more of the following: low-fat fruit yogurt; fresh or frozen (thawed) fruit (sliced strawberries, peaches, bananas); crushed wheat flakes cereal; raisins; nuts or a fruit salsa.
Calories: 170 | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Protein: 3g | Carbohydrates: 38g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 320mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugars: 23g