Get out of the daily breakfast rut of cereal and milk with this delicious and nutritious sweet potato toast recipe.
Potatoes for breakfast, you say? Kids and adults alike will love this unexpected healthy treat. It’s fast enough for breakfast on the go and will keep you satisfied until lunchtime.
Bake a few ‘taters in the oven on the weekend, and enjoy them all week long. Or, grab some canned sweet potatoes at the grocery store. The beautifully orange sweet potato is fat- and cholesterol-free, and is a rich source of dietary fiber, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. It’s a breakfast of champions!
Sweet Potato Toast
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/3 cup sweet potato (can be baked and freshly mashed or canned)
- 1 teaspoon pecans, chopped
- 1 slice of whole wheat or multigrain bread, lightly toasted
- Mash the syrup into the potato.
- Spread the mixture on the bread.
- Top with nuts.
Serving size: 1 slice | Calories: 98 | Fat: 2 grams | Saturated fat: 0.2 grams | Sodium: 25 milligrams | Carbohydrates: 21 grams | Protein: 0.8 grams