This tasty turkey and rice soup recipe is great for cool nights.
Stacey Kendrick, MS, a longtime health educator at Vanderbilt, shares this protein-packed soup that is perfect for warming you up on a chilly day.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup flour
- 2 cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can low-fat evaporated milk
- 1 ½ cup cooked wild rice *
- 1 cup diced turkey
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter and cook vegetables 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually add broth and milk.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and turkey.
- Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with almonds before serving.
Stacey Kendrick, MS, is a health educator with more than 20 years of experience in wellness and population health. She is a mother to two adult daughters. In her free time, she teaches healthy cooking classes, runs, gardens and enjoys backyard bonfires.
Love this recipe? Share it with your friends! Want more? Find tasty recipes like this one here.