Spice up your grilled sweet corn with flavorful toppings.
With sweet corn season upon us, it’s time to fire up the grill and get cookin.’ Plain sweet corn is moderately high in fiber and contains only 78 calories and 1 gram of fat per ear.
The secret to mouth-watering sweet corn starts with the grilling technique. Follow these steps to grilling the perfect ear of corn:
- Heat a charcoal or gas grill to medium-high heat (400°F – 475°F).
- While the grill is heating up, carefully peel back the corn husks, stopping at the base. Remove the corn silk and fold husks back into place.
- Place ears of corn into a large bowl of cold water and soak for about 10 minutes to prevent husks from burning.
- Remove from bowl and shake off excess water.
- Place ears of corn directly on grill grates and cook, turning occasionally, until crisp-tender and slightly charred, approximately 15-20 minutes.
Before you take a bite into your grilled cob, top it off with some fresh flavors. From savory basil pesto and Parmesan to sweet cinnamon and sugar, here are 12 out-of-the-box combinations to turn sweet corn into the highlight of your next backyard barbecue:
- Lime juice + sea salt (dash)+ cayenne pepper
- Unsalted butter (light spread) + lemon-pepper blend + lemon zest
- Basil pesto + grated Parmesan cheese (sprinkle)
- Chili powder + lime juice + chopped cilantro + cotija cheese (sprinkle)
- Hummus + smoked paprika
- Unsalted butter (light spread) + cinnamon + sugar (sprinkle)
- Low-fat sour cream/goat cheese (light spread) + chives
- Roasted garlic aioli (light spread) + lime juice + smoked paprika
- Unsalted butter (light spread) + honey (drizzle)
- Minced garlic + extra-virgin olive oil (drizzle) + grated Parmesan cheese (sprinkle)
- Guacamole (light spread) + lime juice
- Roasted tomato pulp + shredded Mozzarella cheese (sprinkle) + chopped basil + olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette (drizzle)
Pair with pineapple chicken kabobs, a light baby red potato salad and fresh fruit for a delicious summertime meal.