Warm, satisfying, savory — you might just forget that this is vegetarian!
On a busy weeknight, it’s good to have a plan. An easy one. This hearty soup requires minimal prep and comes together about as quickly as it takes to boil pasta. Mushrooms, spinach and tomatoes provide plenty of vitamins — and plenty of umami goodness.
Hearty spinach and tortellini soup
- 1 minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 2 cups of cleaned and sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 boxes of low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 8-ounce bag of fresh or frozen cheese stuffed tortellini
- 1 16-ounce can of low-sodium stewed tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
- 1 10-ounce bag of baby spinach
- Optional: parmesan cheese and black pepper
- Sauté the shallot, garlic and mushrooms in olive oil in a stock pot until the mushrooms begin to soften; about 3-5 minutes on low to medium heat.
- Add the vegetable broth and pasta, then bring to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes (with liquid) and spinach.
- Top with grated parmesan cheese and fresh ground black pepper before serving.
Calories: 248 | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 404mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugars: 7g