Remember this while shopping for holiday toys
Make sure to follow age recommendations for holiday toys and avoid these items while shopping for kids.
With the holiday shopping season upon us, take note of these critical safety tips while buying gifts for children.
In 2015, there were 25 toy recalls. A U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission report reviewing 2015 shows an estimated 254,200 toy-related injuries treated in emergency rooms, and 11 deaths that year.
Purnima Unni, MPH, CHES, Pediatric Trauma Injury Prevention Program manager at Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, wants to remind gift-givers of the importance of keeping the child’s age in mind while shopping for toys this holiday season.
“When shopping for children, it’s important to do your research on the safest toy options,” Unni said. “All toys should have an age recommendation on the packaging, and it’s important to read labels carefully, especially for children under age 3.”
Are you buying new toys? Make sure they are age appropriate.
Check to make sure there aren’t any small parts or other potential choking hazards. Products are given age recommendations for safety reasons, so stick to the suggested ages and keep in mind each child develops at his or her own pace. Also:
- Look for quality construction.
- Check toys regularly for broken parts, chipped paint or sharp edges.
- Make sure all crayons, markers or other art supplies are labeled non-toxic.
- Avoid marbles and balls with a diameter of less than 1.75 inches.
- Avoid toys with cords or strings longer than 7 inches.
- Purchase Mylar balloons instead of latex, and never allow children to inflate or deflate balloons.
Are you buying a new bike? Don’t forget the helmet.
Ride-on toys often result in the highest number of toy-related injuries. Bikes, scooters, skateboards and other riding toys should always be accompanied by helmets and young riders should be supervised by adults.
Are you buying new electronics? Keep an eye on button batteries.
Each year in the U.S., more than 2,800 children are treated in emergency rooms after swallowing button batteries – that’s one child every three hours. Keep lithium battery-controlled devices – remote controls, calculators, watches, key fobs, flameless candles, musical greeting cards, flashing holiday jewelry or decorations – out of sight and reach of children.
Are you buying a new TV? Don’t forget the wall mount.
If you purchase a new TV for the holidays or if you have one at home, it is crucial to properly secure it to prevent tipping. Mounting your TV is also a safe solution. Every three weeks a child dies from a tipped-over television. Over the past 10 years, a child visited the emergency room every 45 minutes because of a tipping TV.
Additional items to avoid this shopping season:
Hoverboards: These were a popular gift item last year even though the Consumer Product Safety Commission announced an official recall of more than 500,000 hoverboards. The commission, along with eight manufacturers and two retailers, agreed to recall the hoverboards due to fire hazards posed by the devices’ lithium-ion battery packs. According to the recall notice, the lithium-ion battery packs in the self-balancing boards could overheat, start to smoke, catch fire or lead to an explosion.
Magnets: Avoid building sets with small magnets for children under 6. If swallowed, serious injuries or death could occur.
Projectile toys: Items such as air rockets, darts and slingshots aren’t recommended for any age, but if they are purchased, they should be for older children.
Chargers and adapters: Charging batteries should always be supervised by adults. Battery chargers and adapters can pose thermal burn hazards to children.
BB guns: BB guns should not be considered toys. Children require proper training and supervision while using a BB gun.
More safety tips are available on Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt’s Pediatric Trauma Injury Prevention Program website.
This post was written by Jennifer Wetzel, Senior Information Officer and Local News Director for Vanderbilt University Medical Center.