It’s not actually ice cream but it’s just as yummy.
This frozen treat is sure to be loved by everyone you share it with during these warm months. It’s just fruit that’s frozen and blended, but it is as good as anything you can get at the ice cream shop. Dessert this healthy and nutritious never tasted so good. Get creative by incorporating other types of frozen berries, or mix-ins such as peanut butter, honey, cinnamon or ginger.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Peel the bananas and cut them in chunks.
Core and slice the strawberries.
Place the fruit in a freezer bag and freeze for a minimum of 5 hours.
Remove the fruit from the freezer and let it thaw on the counter for about 15 minutes, so it is soft enough to blend.
Place the fruit in a blender or food processor. Add the vanilla. Blend until completely smooth.
Scoop and enjoy!
• Serve immediately. Although you can refreeze the blended fruit to use later, I have found that it is best eaten right away.
• For a sweeter treat, leave out the strawberries and vanilla and instead add a scoop of peanut butter or Nutella before blending. It will contain more fat, but it’s great once in a while.
• For chocolate lovers, try topping this treat with a few dark chocolate chips before serving.
- 4 bananas
- 8 strawberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Peel the bananas and cut them in chunks.
- Core and slice the strawberries.
- Place the fruit in a freezer bag and freeze for a minimum of 5 hours.
- Remove the fruit from the freezer and let it thaw on the counter for about 15 minutes, so it is soft enough to blend.
- Add the vanilla and blend it in a blender or food processor until completely smooth.
- Scoop and enjoy.
Stacey Kendrick, MS, is a health educator with more than 20 years of experience in wellness and population health. She is a mother to two adult daughters. In her free time, she teaches healthy cooking classes, runs, gardens and enjoys backyard bonfires.