Local tomatoes make this grilled crostini my summertime go-to recipe.
It is the heart of glorious summer and that means tomatoes are plentiful at farmers markets, road-side stands and if you are lucky, in your own garden. Not only are local summer tomatoes delicious beyond compare, they are also a nutrition-packed powerhouse. Tomatoes contain a healthy dose of lycopene, an antioxidant that may help reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular disease by reducing LDL (bad) cholesterol and may also reduce the risk of many cancers. Tomato juice, paste and sauce also have high amounts of lycopene. This recipe is also high in potassium, as well as vitamins A and C.
But I love this crostini recipe because it puts the focus on the tomato, it is so easy to make and it looks beautiful on a party platter. Add a green salad and you have a meal fit for a queen!
Summertime Grilled Tomato Crostini
4 1/2-inch-thick slices of ciabatta bread (or any dense crusty bread)
1 garlic clove, halved
grilled tomatoes (see recipe below)
2 tablespoon olive oil, for drizzling
20 basil leaves
- Light the grill (or heat a pan if you don’t have a grill).
- Grill the bread until it is toasted, for about 1 minute on each side.
- Transfer it to a platter and rub with the garlic halves.
- Spoon the tomatoes and a bit of juice over the grilled bread and drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with fresh ground pepper and basil and serve.
4 tomatoes (about 1 pound), quartered
1 pint red cherry tomatoes, halved if large
1 pint yellow cherry tomatoes, halved if large
1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
freshly ground pepper
- Light the grill. Arrange four 12-by-24-inch sheets of heavy-duty foil on a work surface. Mound the tomatoes in the center of each sheet, drizzle with the olive oil and season with pepper. Fold up the foil to create tight packets.
- Set the packets on the grill and cover. Grill over moderately high heat for about 15 minutes, until the tomatoes begin to soften and burst. Using scissors, carefully cut open the foil packets and serve as described above.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving for Summertime Grilled Tomato Crostini:
Serving Size: 2 pieces. Calories 268. Total Fat 14 grams. Saturated Fat 2.1 grams. Sodium 153 milligrams. Potassium 1475 milligrams. Carbohydrates 33 grams. Protein 7.0 grams.
Looking for another use for your garden’s bounty? Try this Cucumber and Tomato Salad Recipe.